Since the hot dog is the most popular and convenient snack in the world for humans therefore pet owners think of feeding their dogs this delicious food and are concerned about can my German shepherd eat hot dogs?
In reality, most German shepherds attract to those food items comprised of fish, beef, chicken, and lamb. Among such food items, the hot dog is one of the favorite delicacies of dogs, particularly German shepherds.
Still, are hot dogs ok for German shepherds? Hot dogs are safe for dogs to eat in moderation. As far as the case with the German shepherd and the hot dog is not that simple to explain. As hot dog contains different types of ingredients and mystery meat sausage and there are chances of some toxic ingredients which cannot be identified.
If your pooch loves hot dogs and you are confused about can my puppy eat hot dogs, in this case, you should not feed this fatty food to your small dog.
Can German Shepherds Eat Hot Dogs? – Analysis
Hotdog available in the market is basically processed food offered in different varieties. Although some hotdogs are made out of different types of meat some are prepared with only beef or pork or chicken meat. But the common ingredients in all variants of hot dogs are sugar and salt content that may harm your dog. Besides, this processed food is full of fats and calories, which may cause weight gain in dogs. The number of calories and amount of fats in a 100 grams hotdog count as 310 calories and 25 grams of fat.
On the other side, German shepherds have sensitive stomachs in common. They are likely to develop stomach-related issues and digestion problems when consuming something toxic or wrong. If their stomach sensitivity is overlooked, they usually suffer from vomiting, diarrhea, and many other stomach issues.
Store-bought hotdogs contain artificial sweeteners, preservatives, and condiments like onion and garlic powder. All such things are toxic to dogs or German Shepherds.
How to Feed Hot Dogs to Your German Shepherds?
If you want to save your pet from all the harmful effects of hot dogs try using these alternative methods, as follows:
- There is nothing wrong to feed this meaty treat to your dog occasionally in moderation. But keeping the factors of unidentified ingredients in sauces it is better to offer homemade hotdogs to your furry friend as a treat.
- Never feed your dog a raw hotdog to avoid any germs or bacteria
- Alternatively, you can make a barbecue out of some plain chicken or beef without any seasoning or salt, make sure you cut the piece of meat into small, bite-size chunks so that your German shepherd eats it easily.
- You can also try hotdogs for the dog (canine food) available on the market as these are safe for dogs to eat with less fat and sodium.
Benefits of Hot Dogs
Hotdogs you prepared at home are full of protein and nutritional benefits for German shepherds in common. Other than this, this meaty snack cannot contribute much to your canine’s health and body. So, it would be waste of time devoting all your efforts, time, and budget to this recipe for a great protein source.
You can feed the hot dog as a treat for your dog in training sessions to make them happy and motivated.
As an alternative, you can try many other foods as a good protein source for your furry friend.
- Can German Shepherds Eat Pasta?
- German Shepherd Stud Fee
- Can German Shepherds Eat Sardines?
- Can German Shepherds Eat Almonds?
Damaging Effects of Hot Dogs
This fatty food not necessarily be life-threatening for your dog but feeding it too often may cause some critical health problems, which are as follows:
- This high in calorie and fat food may cause obesity and similarly leads to other health problems such as diabetes, poor blood circulation, heart issues, depression, etc.
- Obesity is one of contributing factors to pancreatitis, commonly describe as pancreas inflammation, in this condition the functionality of the pancreas is affected badly as well as damages the organs and tissues surroundings. The signs of pancreatitis involve vomiting, appetite loss, abdomen pain, lethargy, diarrhea & fever.
- High sodium in hotdogs can lead to countless health hazards such as sodium ion poisoning, excessive thirst, kidney issues, cardiac problem, disturbing seizures, etc.
- Excessive sodium may also cause dehydration, you need to control the amount of sodium you fed to your German shepherd even sodium up to 1.5 grams per pound of dog’s body weight prove injurious for their health.
Kata Vidošušić is an author from Quora.com who talks about Can dog eat hot dogs?.
Your German shepherd always pulls you away with pressure and you feel like getting dragged. The dogs do such things sometimes and you are reluctant as you think you might hurt your pet in controlling...
It’s an instinct for dogs to chew on stuff. Especially German shepherds who love to gnaw and nibble. With dogs that are your constant companions at home and outside, their recreational needs are a...